I Beat Cancer, I Am Glad To Be Able to Share My Story

Photography By: Felecia Causey

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 40. I started getting mammograms at the age of 37, due to my family history.

In 2008,my journey started with a lot of things happening. January 7th, my mom, after her funeral I was admitted into the hospital for surgery (I wasn't diagnosed yet).

The first 3 months of 2008 was tough. March 5th was my mother's birthday, and the same day I lost an uncle. On that day my husband was admitted into the hospital for two weeks. I spent my birthday at the hospital with him who was in intensive care, and had to have an emergency procedure that saved his life. I was so busy  being there for my husband, I didn't schedule a mammogram that year.

July of 2009, I got the opportunity to go see my family doctor and the only thing I could hear in my head was I need a mammogram. My doctor scheduled me an appointment and that's when my cancer journey started.

I went to my appointment in July on a Tuesday and that following Monday I received a call telling me they saw a spot, and I needed to schedule a biopsy. I went to that appointment in August without telling any of my family. I didn't want them to worry or stay off work to go with me.

I tried to do it by myself. The day I went back for my results, my daughter asked me if I wanted her to go, but I told her no.  After I checked in, the  radiologist and her nurse came in and the words I already knew I would hear came out. (Mrs. Thomas, I am sorry, but your test results were positive for breast cancer.)
I started to think I would die from breast cancer, but I had so much faith in God that day that I knew I would be a survivor.  

I had my lumpectomy on October 16th, 2009. I was scheduled to meet my oncologist to discuss chemotherapy. I became angry, because I didn't want to lose my hair. When I got there the first thing he tells me is no chemo, since the spot was so small.

I was so excited. After about three weeks, after a check up with my plastic surgeon, the regular surgeon, and I was about to start radiation, I received a call that I need to go back and see my oncologist. I was told I would have to do 6 treatments of chemo.  I was okay with getting it at this time. I got my port put in December 28th and my first treatment on December 29th, on my father's birthday.

I was completely bald by my second treatment. My only thought was I wish my mom was here, so she could tell me how to handle it because she was a true survivor. My family and friends were there with me through it all.

God has been so good to me and my family and I can't thank Him enough. It will be nine years in October, and I am glad to be here to tell my story.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Mom of Nine, Photographer, and Boutique Owner Karissa Collins